I've wanted to make myself a macrame bracelet ever since I saw this tutorial on Honestly WTF. However, I couldn't find a charm I really liked until recently, when I came across this dinky little bracelet in Accessorize:

  charm bracelet blue green gold silver 

 It's a cute bracelet, but I bought it just for that charm (sorry about the awful photo by the way - the bad weather finally hit us today).  So, I got myself some knotting cord:
  macrame cord teal 
 This is C-Lon thread - I bought mine from The Spellbound Bead Company - they have lots of lovely colours to choose from. I have this teal colour, and also blue, green and pink. What? It was just as expensive for them to post one reel as four. Probably. Moving on.... So, I started to follow the tutorial. Now, I don't know if it's just me, or the weather, or the fact that it's Sunday morning, but it just wasn't working quite right. I mean, it should be simple - it's just knots. Anyway, after a quick look at this helpful Youtube video, I got the hang of it, and I was able to make myself this rather lovely (if I do say so myself) bracelet:
  macrame bracelet with charm teal blue  
 And this is what it looks like on:
  macrame bracelet  
 I confess, there was a lot of faffing about - I reckon it would take about an hour or two at most to make.  And if you fancy trying to make one yourself, here are a couple of handy hints from me:
  • Once you've cut your pieces of cord to the right length, wet them under the cold water tap, then run them through for your fingers a few times to straighten them a bit. It'll only take a few minutes to dry, and it makes it so much easier to work with.
  • Don't start making this bracelet if you know you're going to need to stop halfway through knotting, as you will forget where you were up to. At least finish one side first, so you don't get lost and have to start again (ask me how I know).
  • The tutorial suggests using a lighter to melt the ends of the cord so they don't fray. If you are anything like as cack-handed as me, then clear nail varnish is probably a safer option here. That's instead of the lighter, not as well as. Just sayin'. ;-)
  • Oh, and if you are likely to use your mouth to help adjust the bracelet on your wrist (I know, who does that? *cough*), then it might be worth putting a blob of clear nail varnish on the knots there too.
  • And finally, don't use a board that's a similar colour to the thread you're using. Durr.

Comments