Dala horse obsession

I don't know when I first started to like dala horses, but there is something very charming about the simple shape, and the colours used to decorate them. They are a traditional Swedish symbol or emblem, which (according to Wikipedia) started as a simple wooden carved horse made for children to play with.

I like the simple horse shape, which lends itself well to various craft techniques. Which leads me to a problem - which do I choose to make first? A beaded dala horse is probably beyond my skills (probably - ha!). Felt was an obvious choice, but it has also been done (rather well):

Felt dala horse wall hanging by lovahandmade

I am tempted to give embroidery another bash (it's more of a colder season craft to me), so I might give this pattern a try:

Or maybe something like this:


Then there are tutorials about making block prints, which look fantastic, but I fear require more skills than are at my disposal:


These are also available to buy though:


So now I'm thinking either dala horse biscuits - maybe gingerbread, with icing decorations....oh.


Maybe I'll make something with shrink plastic instead then...

Comments