Handmade jewellery from recycled clothing and buttons - part two

So in yesterday's post, I mentioned how we were getting rid of some old clothes, and the Husbinator was throwing out a load of (neck) ties. Well, here are some of them, saved for my craft stash:


I absolutely love this one:

Not sure what I will make with that, but it needs to be used. Mandarin ducks FTW!

Anyway, I had a look around online for some ideas about what to use the ties for. I'd seen various halter tops and skirts made from ties, but I wanted something different. Something quicker to make, for starters. And then I looked at my Pinterest board and thought 'fabric flower' (for a change). I found a tutorial (which I can't find back again at the moment) and used a silk tie to make this:

 It's a bigger brooch than I'd usually wear - it's about 3 inches across - but it is rather splendid. Possibly helped by the fact that there's a vintage glass button at its centre:

YUM.

And seeing as I'd found some blanks for making covered buttons, I used another bit of tie to make these: 

The fabric has a nice sheen to it, which doesn't show up so well in the photo. Ooh, now imagine a pair of earrings made from that mandarin duck tie! 

Comments