Decorating cupcakes with fondant icing (or Introducing Sumo Bear)

I have recently developed a taste for cupcakes, and despite never having been particularly successful at baking before, I've managed to make a few good batches of them already. The latest makes were lemon vanilla cakes with cream cheese icing. The Husbinator couldn't fathom how cream cheese could be made into icing, but he did admit that they tasted pretty good:

So, spurred on by that success, I signed up for a cupcake decoration class with a friend. We spent three happy hours learning how to make cake decorations, including a bear and a pig, from fondant icing. I somehow got the proportions wrong for my bear, so he is a little...cuddly. Hence the nickname, Sumo Bear:
I'm just big-boned

He's not bad for a first effort, and he is pretty cute. I guess all that time spent playing with polymer clay helped. My pig turned out OK too, although he looks pretty startled. We discovered why when we took him out of the cake box at home and realised that his tail had come off. Oops!

 Dude, where's my tail?

The less challenging cake decorations involved rolling out various colours of icing and using cutters, moulds and glitter (aka 'Pixie dust'):
Pastel colours, flowers and swirls
Close up of the rose sprinkled with pixie dust!

One of the highlights of the class was at the beginning, using a small cutter to gouge out a piece of cake in order to fill it with jam or.....lemon curd! It's available over here! And I have some! So now all I need to do is remember what the gazillion recipes are that I needed it for. Until then, there's always....

Comments