Gardening photos, a greenhouse update, and Happy Easter

The weather has been so good recently, that plants in our garden (and greenhouse) have been growing like mad. We visited the garden centre yesterday to buy some more small shrubs and plants to replace some plants that are past their best, or to fill in gaps in the borders. I even bought some small lettuce and rocket plants, rather than growing from seed (although I'll probably sow some in a few weeks anyway). So now our veg box looks like this:

That's a dwarf pumpkin plant in the middle. This cannot end well. Grow quickly, tiny lettuces, grow!

And here's the situation in the World's Tiniest Greenhouse:

Top row, l-r (from memory): Hollyhocks, pumpkin, lupins, coriander, tomatoes, chilli, sweetpeas (not doing much :(), tomatoes. Bottom row: tomatoes, one single defiant basil seedling :D, courgettes (also dragging their roots this year).

Beneath those shelves are some more tomato plants, a large pot of cat grass (for bad weather days) and...something else, which I've forgotten.

The other side of the greenhouse is much the same:
More tomatoes and chillies, some poppy seeds, and a couple of potatoes which are refusing to 'chit'. Those two tiny plants on the floor are dinky fuschias, which the Husbinator likes - they're now potted on and have pride of place in the garden.

Because the good weather makes everything grow so fast, we get to play 'What the heck is *that* plant?' again. I noticed a couple of familiar-looking leaves last week, but didn't get too excited, until yesterday when I saw this:
Lily of the valley! Finally! Apologies for the poor photo, they're really low down, and I couldn't get to them. But yay! I planted them years ago, and they never appeared. They were clearly just waiting to surprise me. Woop! You just know I'm going to be back on here in a few days, complaining of a sore back and soil up my nostrils. :D

Speaking of surprises, while we were pottering in the garden, we heard a strange noise, and when we looked up over our heads....


I guess the good weather means hot air balloon season has arrived early here. :-)

OK, one last photo, then I'm done. I don't know if I ever told you about the wicker reindeer which I saw in a garden centre a few years ago and was not allowed to buy (it has vanished completely now - never to be seen again)? Well, I saw a rather nice plant holder thing with a tiny blackboard  attached to it, so you could display messages to people like 'Look, a plant!'  or 'Get OFF my lawn'. Anyway, the Husbinator wasn't keen on them, but it was already Wicker Reindeer II, and I was determined. So when I saw one at the garden centre yesterday, I pounced. And so, I wish all my lovely blog readers...

Comments