Shrink plastic fun!

I was flicking through my stash of Make Jewellery magazines the other day (I really should subscribe to it, I do like it), and there was a project in one of the magazines to make jewellery using shrink plastic. The project is called Guitar Hero, and it features a necklace, earrings and a brooch using guitars and other 'rock chick' symbols made from shrink plastic.



As The Husband plays guitar, I thought I'd have a go at making a tiny guitar for him, maybe for a keyring. And perhaps a necklace for myself. So, I had a look online for some shrink plastic, and found some on Ebay. It arrived very quickly, and being the impatient sort, I couldn't wait to try it out. So I traced the guitar shape onto the plastic, carefully cut it out, sanded it, coloured it in with marker pens and baked it in the oven. And...ta-dah! One tiny guitar:





And that was enough to get me addicted. I came up with another idea for something for my swap partner for the Cat swap organised by SpoiltPig. I hope posting them here doesn't spoil the surprise too much, but this is only part of what I've made:



The cat heads are about 7 x 5 mm, and I was lucky that the size I chose to begin with was just right. I have now made myself a 'shrink plastic ruler' so I can judge the size items will be after baking.

I've also tried cutting the plastic in my craft mangle, and it works, at least with the Bigz dies. Which means I can make shrink plastic stars and flowers. Which would work rather well for earrings, I think. *pondering*

For more ideas on how to use shrink plastic, have a look at these great projects.

Shrink flower and leaf necklace from Just Something I Made:



Shrink plastic rings from CraftStylish:



And as if that wasn't enough, I discovered that you can also recycle some plastic containers and get free shrink plastic for your projects - wheee! This tutorial tells you more. And I will be rummaging through the refridgerator later on - blueberries are meant to be superfoods - they're so amazing, I bet they even come in a shrinkable plastic tub. :-D

Comments