Happy New Year!

Hurrah for 2009! I started the year off as I mean to go on - by stabbing fluffy things with sharp implements. Of course, I'm talking about needle-felting. ;-) It would appear that I have much to learn though - see if you can guess what I made:


Any clues? Well, it was meant to be a heart. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - I will ask for advice on the Working with Felt group.

In happier felt news, I managed to make the present for a friend which I have been meaning to create for a couple of weeks. I think this one is a little easier to figure out:



She's a fan of the Sheffield Steelers ice hockey team. I had a heck of a job trying to figure out what their strip was, so in the end, I picked their colours and made my own up. And yes, he has a real plastic visor. :-D

And finally, some amazing felt figures made by a very talented person. I was browsing through my groups on Flickr yesterday and I came across Deriana's photos - check out her blog (warning, contains photos of felt bondage items - yes, really), she makes amazing characters from felt. It's hard to choose my favourite, but if I had to, it would probably be the Versailles couple, although I've just noticed a Freddie Mercury that is the best thing EVAH. Srsly.

Comments

  1. He is very cute, I bet your friend loved him!
    Can I help at all with your felting, I am new to wet/dry felting too. although I have done mostly wet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Well, it's a timing thing really - I don't know at what stage the felting is 'done'. The heart in the photo looks too fluffy to me, but I was stabbing at it for ages. Also, a lot of needle-felted items I've seen look much smoother. I don't know if I need to stab more, or less, or whether it's all down to the type of wool, or technique. So, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are not doing anything wrong! it just takes practice! I could tell it was a heart! you have to stab there in the middle a little. Put the heart in a vertical position and then stabb there between the two...round parts of the heart (very difficult to explain!).
    I'm more a wet felter than a needle felter so I'm not a whole lot of help. Just keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you start with thicker courser needles? Always start with them, spend so long and then work your way down to your finest needles, the fine ones are the finishing touch and you should get your felt nice and smooth. Marino combed tops are lovely to work with, so soft, some wools give the rougher feel.HTH XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just did a reply but it seems to have disappeared!!
    Starting again...
    Do you start your felting with the course needles? You need to start with course and then after a while change to medium and then when you are nearly finished change to fine, fine will give you that smooth look that you are after, keep going until you are happy. HTH!
    What wool do you use?
    Marino tops are lovely to work with and are very soft, some wools are courser.
    I have just finished washing a white fleece that came straight from the farm, bits of poo n all! Was a bit stinky but I enjoyed the elbow grease involved, now I need to buy a comb and then I will be ready to use it, can't wait. I also have a black fleece that needs washing but that can wait!!
    Debbs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Marian, that's reassuring that you knew what it was. ;-) I also like the look of wet felting, but needle-felting is better for me to do in the evenings after work - less kit and mess. Plus I need to buy myself a bamboo mat to roll the felt on - the bubble wrap isn't working so well for me.

    Thanks for your comments, Debbs. I do start with the coarsest needle and work up, but maybe I moved on too quickly to the finer needles? As for the wool, I don't know what type it is, as it's in a clear bag, and I don't remember where I bought it from. *rolls eyes at self* However, I do have some Merino wool (if the label is to be believed) so I will have a go with that and see if it makes a difference. I've just groped both wools, and the Merino is definitely softer.

    Thanks, ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment